At Denton West End our aims of teaching MFL are for children to:
- take an interest in learning another language in a fun and safe environment;
- become aware that language has a structure, and that this structure differs from one language to another;
- help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences in other countries;
- develop speaking and listening skills;
- gain enjoyment, pride and a sense of achievement;
- explore and apply strategies to improve their learning across the curriculum;
- explore their own cultural identities and those of others.
The teaching of a language will help our children to develop in social and academic ways. It will ensure children are aware of different cultures and will also have a positive impact on the learning of literacy through learning technicalities of language. We follow a scheme of work in line with the KS2 Framework for Languages which focuses on the following areas: Oracy, Literacy, Intercultural Understanding, Knowledge about Language and Language Learning Strategies.
Throughout key stage two, children are taught French. The lessons adopt a creative, multi-sensory approach and include a balance of whole class, group and independent activities. Lessons will include direct teaching of vocabulary, games, songs and cultural discussions.