At Denton West End art and design stimulates creativity and imagination. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and a special way of understanding and responding to the world. It enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of colour, texture, form, pattern and different materials and processes. Children become involved in shaping their environments through art and design activities. They learn to make informed judgements and aesthetic and practical decisions. They explore ideas and meanings through the work of artists and designers. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, they can explore the impact it has had on contemporary life and that of different times and cultures. The appreciation and enjoyment of the visual arts enriches all our lives.
The aims of art are:
- to enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- to develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
- to improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- to increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- to develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- to foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
The school uses a variety of teaching and learning styles in art and design lessons. Our principal aim is to develop the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding in art and design. We ensure that the act of investigating and making something includes exploring and developing ideas, and evaluating and developing work. We do this best through a mixture of whole-class teaching and individual/group activities. Teachers draw attention to good examples of individual performance as models for the other children. We have been very fortunate to have had a Professional artist in School working with children from Years 1-6. They have been working together to make wonderful creations.
For more information about the curriculum areas please contact the school
Our Wonderful Art Displays
We have lots of lovely pieces of art work displayed throughout the school. The work is from topics we have covered in class and also from our art sessions with a professional artist. Mr Doyle comes into each class throughout the year to teach us art skills. This year, we are looking closely at types of art in different religions and cultures. See some of the photographs below for examples of our eye catching work!